“At what point were flights for Marisa Dick and Ricardo Lue Shue booked? Were the funds used for the booking cleared by the standard practices of the body?”
A ‘concerned citizen’, Ian M.S. Royer, wrote yesterday to Trinidad and Tobago Gymnastics Federation president David Marquez demanding answers:
Dear Mr Marquez,
Re: A request for transparent responses regarding the disbarment of Thema Williams from the 17 April 2016 Olympic Qualifier in Rio, Brazil.
Further to the subject matter, and in pursuant with the Memorandum of Understanding for transparency in Olympic matters signed by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee; and as a concerned citizen, I am making a formal request for questions to be answered transparently, as communication to the public has been sparse and leaves several questions unanswered.
As part of your presidential responsibility, as per the charter.
As a point of public interest please advise on the following matters:
- Upon receipt of the report from Coach John Geddert, did the TTGF request an official medical report from Rio as to her capability to perform from the medical team in Brazil, from the Coach, or from the physiotherapist under the employ of the TTGF? It must be noted, after reading all agreements and charters, I understand the Coach and Physiotherapist are the only people who can declare an athlete unfit to perform at an event. Kindly provide the public with such documentation, or admission of unfit for performance from Coach and Physiotherapist;
Photo: Thema Williams of Trinidad And Tobago competes on the uneven bars during the 2015 World Gymnastics Championship in Glasgow, Scotland, on 23 October 2015.
(Copyright AFP 2016/Andy Buchanan)
2) Without the documentation listed above, on who’s recommendation was the decision to disbar Thema Williams brought to the board for a vote? Also what qualified them to make this assumption from an email and no clarification?
3) Statements made by the TTGF state that a vote was unanimous, please share minutes of the vote be made public, clearly outlining the voting members;
4) Is there a personal connection between board members Donna Lue Shue and Ricardo Lue Shue to Marisa Dick? Images circulated via the internet and emails indicating a conflict of interest have been highlighted but not addressed;
5) At what point were flights for Marisa Dick and Ricardo Lue Shue booked? Were the funds used for the booking cleared by the standard practices of the body?
6) Initially arbitration between the TTGF and Thema Williams were supposed to be executed, but it is reported that these were stalled due to the underrepresentation of the TTGF, can you confirm?
Now more than ever, the integrity of the TTGF and its board is being held into question, not only this but the public of Trinidad and Tobago, the Trinidad Olympic Committee, stakeholders and financiers, require and demand that a coherent and documented case be presented by the TTGF to show transparency and fairness to all athletes.
Thank you for your kind consideration in this matter, a timely response directed at the public of Trinidad and Tobago would be greatly appreciated.
Ian MS Royer, PHF
CC: The Board of the Trinidad and Tobago Gymnastics Federation
The Press of Trinidad and Tobago
Thema Williams, Athlete
The Board of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee
The Management of Beacon Insurance Limited
The Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, the Hon Daryl Smith, MP
The Board of the Sports Company of Trinidad & Tobago