The Ministry of Health confirmed Covid-19 related death number 22 and 23 for the month of September with an additional 79 positive cases to boot, as the novel coronavirus continues to pummel Trinidad and Tobago.
The latest deceased patients were described as ‘an elderly female with co-morbidities’ and an adult male. The country has had 45 fatalities since March while there have been 2,777 positive cases from 23,133 unique patient samples since the onset of the pandemic.
Seven of the positives confirmed this morning were members of the Police Training Academy, which brought the number of infected recruits up to 128.
At present, the twin island republic has 1,970 active cases of the virus with 1,663 persons in ‘home isolation’, 109 hospitalised and 119 in step-down facilities. There are six persons at the Couva Hospital Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and another five at the High Dependency Unit (HDU).
Trinidad and Tobago vs Covid-19 (in numbers)
Local infections of Covid-19 in first wave (27 March to 26 April)
- 50 cases in 31 days with 8 deaths.
Local infections of Covid-19 in second wave (20 July to 17 August)
- 436 cases in 29 days with 4 deaths.
Local infections of Covid-19 since gov’t roll-backs (18 August to 11 September)
- 2,085 cases in 24 days with 33 deaths.
The Ministry of Health reminds members of the public to adhere to the ‘new normal’ and:
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth when you go out in public;
- Keep your distance from others (six feet);
- Stay home if you are ill;
- Clean then sanitise surfaces, such as tabletops, door knobs and cell phones;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based sanitiser;
- Cough into a tissue or into the crook of your elbow;
- Avoid touching your face.
Persons are urged to call Covid-19 hotline numbers: 877-WELL, 87-SWRHA or 877-3742 (Trinidad) and 800-HEAL (Tobago) if they feel unwell; or they can report a possible breach of Covid-19 regulations by calling 555, or sending messages—inclusive of photographs and videos—to the Police App or via Whats App to 482-GARY.