Home / Volley / Local Football / Central FC goes top after 2-1 triumph against T&TEC

Central FC goes top after 2-1 triumph against T&TEC

Central FC Anthony Wolfe got his second goal from as many matches as the newly formed outfit kept its 100 percent Digicel Pro League record with a 2-1 triumph over T&TEC FC at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

The result saw the “Sharks” end the weekend in pole position after North East Stars settled for a draw against a plucky Police outfit in the second game of a Malabar double header.

Jameel Perry opened the scoring for Police with a fine header following a Dexter Alleyne cross in the 23rd minute. But 2006 World Cup striker Cornell Glen equalised from the penalty spot in the 40th minute after a Karlon Murray infringement on Stars veteran Gary Glasgow.

Twice, Police almost reclaimed the lead in the 52nd and 78th minutes as full back Jevon Morris and substitute Stephen Knox both had efforts strike the upright. But it was one-way traffic at the death as Stars forced the “Lawmen” back and, in the 85th minute, Kaydon Gabriel also had an effort had the post after a pass from fellow sub Elijah Manners.

In the earlier encounter, T&TEC started brightly as captain Keeron Benito put the “Electricity Boys” ahead with a strike from just inside the penalty area in the 35th minute.

KFC Munch Pack

But Central always looked capable of getting something from the match and might have equalised, two minutes after the break, as Wolfe skillfully created space for himself inside the opposing box only to drive his effort against the heel of the upright.

It took a goalkeeping error to bring Central on level terms as T&TEC goalkeeper Akini Adams needlessly strayed outside the penalty area, with ball in hand, while attempting to distribute the ball in the 56th minute.

Central winger Tyrone Charles made light work of the resulting free kick as he coolly curled over the ball and under the bar before Adams could even twitch on the goal line.

Adams partially atoned with a good save from Wolfe in a one-on-one contest in the 69th minute.

But Wolfe had the last laugh with a close range finish in the 75th minute after veteran playmaker Marvin Oliver rolled the ball into his path following a Hayden Tinto corner kick.

Wolfe should have doubled Central’s advantage but was denied by Adams’ legs following an incisive Sayid Freitas cross in the closing seconds. But Central held on in the end for a second successive Pro League win, which took the newcomers to the Pro League summit.


Central FC (4-1-2-3): Marvin Phillip; 2.Dylon Charles, 6.Marc Leslie, 24.Akeem Adams, 25.Kevaughn Connell (16.Carey Harris 46); 10.Marvin Oliver; 19.Adrian Noel (21.Keron Cummings 89),15.Sayid Freitas; 7.Hayden Tinto, 10.Anthony Wolfe (capt), 15.Tyrone Charles (26.Quincy Charles 73).

Coach Graham Rix

T&TEC (4-1-4-1): 1.Akini Adams; 17.Kern Peters, 3.Anthony Noriega, 7.Cebastian Bailey, 4.Angus John; 20.Brent Garcia (13.Kevon Neaves 63); 15.Tigana Sparks, 19.Simeon Augustus, 14.Keeron Benito (capt), 5.Javed Mohammed; 16.Bevon Bass (27.Desta Francis 46).

Coach Jefferson George

Digicel Pro League

(Sat Oct 27)
Central 2 (Tyrone Charles 58, Anthony Wolfe 75), T&TEC 1 (Keeron Benito 35) at Larry Gomes

NE Stars 1 (Cornell Glen 40 pen), Police 1 (Jameel Perry 23) at Larry Gomes

[standings league_id=1 template=extend logo=true]

About Editor

Check Also

Kangalee: Claim that workers can sacrifice wage increases for job security is a ‘Nansi story’!

“[…] During the Petrotrin shutdown saga, the OWTU actually offered to take a 15% wage …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.