The Costa Rica Football Federation (CRFF) has admitted to being surprised and dismayed by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s failure to send the “Women Soca Warriors” to Central America for scheduled international fixtures this week.
The Costa Rica women, who defeated Trinidad and Tobago on penalties at the 2014 CONCACAF Championship to qualify for the Canada 2015 World Cup, were initially supposed to play the Women Warriors on Tuesday January 25 and Thursday January 27.
However, the CRFF changed the dates to Wednesday January 26 and Friday January 28, after TTFA officials allegedly told them they needed more time to secure visas.
Costa Rica football official Diego Brenes was dismayed to subsequently learn that visa issues were, at best, only half the trouble.
“Last Saturday, we were advised by T&T officials that they were likely to arrive here as late as Tuesday,” Brenes told the CRFF website yesterday, “because some members of the team were still without American visas.
“However, around midday, we got word from them that money problems had made it impossible for the team to come to Costa Rica for the two games scheduled for Wednesday and Friday of this week.”
If the TTFA was economical with the truth in dealing with their Central American neighbours, the David John Williams-led administration was even less open with Trinidad and Tobago fans and media.
Three days after the Women Warriors were supposed to fly to Costa Rica, the TTFA is yet to issue a release on the state of the team or respond to queries.
The Trinidad and Tobago squad, which is now coached by Richard Hood, open their Rio 2016 Olympic qualifying campaign on February 11 against Guatemala in Houston.
The Women Warriors played five warm-up games last month under three different coaches, Randy Waldrum, Anthony Creece and Kendall Walkes. None of that trio are expected to be with the team in Houston.
The Costa Rica football body is desperate to have its own women face international action before their opening Olympic qualifier against the United States on February 10 and is desperately seeking another sparring partner.
Brenes said that he and Costa Rica technical director Amelia Valverde consider the situation to be an emergency.
“Because we don’t want to upset the national team’s preparation plans or impede their progress,” said Brenes, “we are currently making every effort to try and find some team which might be willing to come to Costa Rica. But we are still waiting for responses to the invitations which we have extended to a handful of teams.
“We do not want the team not to have a chance to see how match ready it is. So we are doing our utmost to find a replacement team for this week’s encounters.”
Williams and his administration are keeping their own plans and thoughts about the Women Warriors to themselves.
Warning: Undefined variable $userid in /www/wired868_759/public/wp-content/plugins/user-photo/user-photo.php on line 114
David John-Williams: Women Warriors had no passports to travel for Costa Rica internationals; TTFA president hits back at media and unnamed national player for criticisms
He sure? Lasana, Heil Hitler
They’re trying to arrange matches but have nothing confirmed but the preparation isn’t affected? Meanwhile the Costa Ricans are pissed?
When the head of the TTFA has lower standards than his counterparts in other FAs, can we really expect the teams to get the level of support they need to excel?
DJW is disappointed with the media for trying to get information when none was forthcoming from the TTFA? :-/
Exactly. They need to take in front.
Give the man some time, is only 2 months they in office
I will delve into this soon. At Pro League now
TTFA President, David John-Williams, gives an update on the Women’s Senior Team’s preparation for the CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying Championship
promises promises 2 get votes that’s the tnt way its just like politicians they say all the right things 2 get your votes once they get in power is bullshit for the duration of their tenure
Is de worse.
He is a successful business man. He is deliberate in his lack of action. Shit pot
Regardless of the reasons for this cancellation, TTFA’s public relations has been sorely lacking so far under John-Williams leadership.
I am guesin the decision by committee thing is causing that. We’ll soon see things back to maximum leader
They would know the problem for at least five days or more. How long would they need to make a decision by committee?
Yes he brakesing real good. You want to be president and learn on de job?
…Yuh brakesing fuh dem Lasana. And they rolling from one mess to another…
Nah man. Everybody has to paddle their own canoe. I know I lash hard so I try to wait until it is thoroughly deserved.
..Ok pal. LOL..
I hadda laugh yes
Then why commit to something If you don’t have the money for it
If the problem is financial then we need to understand on what basis did the TTFA think it could pull off this match. Like Carlos said, it is possible the TTFA isn’t at fault for the cancellation of the tour.
But the way it relayed information to all stakeholders is another matter. Three days and not a peep…
The TTFA I understand had its budget cut by the ministry. But it still needs to come out and say something. The TTFA is off to a very bad start. First by changing coaches in mid-stream and now it’s MIA. If they need a communications officer I will volunteer…part-time.
They have a press officer. But he can’t make statements on his own without authorization.
I’ve heard same thing you have. But it isn’t my job to make excuses for the TTFA.
They have to come out and explain themselves.
I hear you. But a professional press officer would convince the TTFA it’s in their best interest to comment on the matter.
Maybe. But you can’t blame the press officer for failing to convince them though. Any more than you can blame a doctor for not convincing you to eat healthy.
Lasana Liburd I’m not really blaming him. The whole profession of press or communications officers in TT simply take orders as opposed to being part of the decision making process.
Fair point on press officers Gerard Johnson
I would love to know when the TTFA honestly thought they would have the money for this trip. And then what changed…
I don’t want to believe that the TTFA simply hoped that everyone forgot we have a Women’s National Senior Team which is supposed to play in some important international matches…
..LOL. Ah writin’ here pal. Only here. Let the young bloods take over..
Coach Keith Look Loy what happen like yuh forget how to write oh wha lol?
…LOLOL..Yeah. You don’t need an M.BA, not with all the promises, to understand that the “new TTFA” needs to be more circumspect and open than the “old TTFA”..
The level of scrutiny of a national organisation is not the same as it would be of a private club. I am assuming this is a learning process…
I am not giving any money to a TTFA-run fund.
…The new regime did not promise to run the association by donation whether from the State or the public at large. They promised to generate adequate finances from private sources. This ain’t cutting it. THEN, there is the issue of poor or non-existent communication, the origin of which is decidedly NOT a lack of funding but a lack of WILL to talk to people. So what else is new?..
Agree – and I don’t think we were naive enough to think that the funds necessary to run football in Trini would magically appear with a new executive in place. Obviously it’ll take time to re-engage the private sector and rebuild trust to facilitate a flow of funds to the organization. We need to give them time, but they must communicate effectively and timely with the public.
..I say again. We turned down people with real money to bring in people who have to beg for money. Democracy..
Who had real money? You mean Ramesh’s slate?
..No slate man. Sabga. Murray has access and a serious budget. They would have made financial life easier for TTFA. No doubt. We now have people who got a miniscule percentage of the first vote – the real litmus test. One of our new VPs got ONE vote in the first ballot..
I don’t know what the pitch was there. It was all kinda vague.
If Murray or Sabga had said, I will invest X amount… Then sure!
..Well, that is so much water under the proverbial bridge. We have what we have and must survive..
Keith – Hopefully it’s not all or nothing with the fellas you mention. Why can’t they still be involved? I imagine they can put forth proposals to the executive to help move the organization forward. I assume the current administration is amenable to all ideas that can help increase the flow of $$ to its accounts.
..I trust so as well. But we sure ain’t seeing evidence of that..
Lol – I hear you.
The TTFA is an arrogant organization. I am not surprised by anything they do and neither should anyone. We should be shocked when they do something correct because for so long doing wrong is the norm.
Chandani Boodoo – not sure we can blame the new TTFA leadership for this. I imagine they were working hard to source the necessary funds. We all know the association has money issues and have been liaising with the Ministry of Sports for support. I’m just disappointed the new president is yes to release a statement on this issue. Was hoping for a greater degree of transparency from him and his new executive. Hopefully he’ll come clean sooner rather than later. Maybe he needs to add a communications specialist to his executive team. It’ll also be good to know how the Tnt public can help. Might be worthwhile for the TTFA to establish a donation page on their web site. One where the public can donate $$ to a general TTFA fund and/or to specific TTFA teams/programs.
Allyuh wanted Tim Kee to go for this clown? Hahahahahahaha.
I say send the whole administration to play instead