“[…] If, as stated in the Express on Monday 23rd May 2022, you ceased being a businessman upon becoming an MP and a minister in August 2020, why were you personally involved in business, business payments and business loans in January 2021?
“[…] If this was a legitimate loan, as you say, why would the financial institution—on receiving legitimate repayments—create an SAR and send to the FIU?”
The following Letter to the Editor on ‘suspicious financial activity’ by Minister of Youth Development and National Service Foster Cummings was submitted to Wired868 by Opposition Senator Anil Roberts:
Foster, it’s truly a good thing—no a GREAT thing—to give thanks and praises to the Almighty! But lehwe separate Church and State for a minute and answer some questions, nah!
1. Are you aware that being appointed a Government Senator is being involved in active politics?
2. Are you aware that on being appointed to the Senate, you became a politically exposed person (PEP) and, therefore, all the rules/laws applying to a PEP apply to you?
3. If, as stated in the Express on Monday 23 May, 2022, you ceased being a businessman upon becoming an MP and a minister in August 2020, why were you personally involved in business, business payments and business loans in January 2021?
4. If it was a loan repayment by the company—with which you are no longer affiliated—to Venture Credit Union, why were the funds moved from the Venture Credit Union account into your personal account? MTS made the cheque out to Venture Credit Union. Why did they move the funds to your account?
5. Are you aware that for the FIU to action an investigation by the ACIB or Police, a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) would have had to be made by the financial institution to the FIU?
6. If this was a legitimate loan, as you say, why would the financial institution—on receiving legitimate repayments—create an SAR and send to the FIU?
7. Are you aware that, as a Politically Exposed Person (PEP), especially an MP and a full-time minister, any money other than your government salary finding its way into your account will raise questions? Especially monies in the amounts of TT$1.8 million and TT$4.41 million?
8. Did you declare these loans on your Integrity Commission forms 2019, 2020, 2021, while you were a Senator, an MP and a minister?
9. Have you ever heard the term ‘tax evasion’? If money owed to a company is paid to someone else, how is this accounted for for tax purposes?
10. Are you aware that facilitating tax evasion is a criminal offence?
11. SAR’s involve illegal proceeds of crime: drug trafficking and money laundering. On hearing that the police were investigating you on these matters, did you seek psychological counselling?
12. Finally, Fozzy Foster, are you insane? Because you can’t possibly think that what you are saying is making sense!