To label as farcical Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley’s appointment of Mr Christian Mouttet as the “sole investigator” on matters regarding the procurement of the Ocean Flower 2 and the Cabo Star would be generous.
Madness or abject stupidity would be more apt. The Prime Minister, Minister Stuart Young and Mr Mouttet are trying to convince the people that a businessman with no investigative experience, selected as the “sole investigator”—ably supported by the “non-partisan” Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Legal Affairs—can and will conduct a thorough, transparent and independent investigation.
In the interest of transparency perhaps the PM and Mr Mouttet can comprehensively answer the following ahead of the investigation:
- What qualifies Mr Mouttet to be an investigator; especially one possessing the forensic expertise needed to dissect this fiasco?
- On what or whose authority can Mr Mouttet compel any person or organisation to answer a single question, turn over one page of documentation or share any email or telephone communication?
- How much money, if any, did Mr Mouttet or any of his businesses contribute to the PNM’s 2015 general elections campaign?
- Are there any conflicts of interest due to relationships, personal and/or business, that Mr Mouttet may have with members of the hierarchy of the PNM both in and out of the Cabinet?
FIXIN’ T&T, via the FOIA, has requested information that can be easily provided by the PATT which would begin to shed light on this matter. The public would be well served if the PM, who has the authority, instructs the board and management of the PATT to release among other things:
- a copy of the Dun & Bradstreet report on Bridgeman’s Services Group requested and received by the PATT during its due diligence process.
- copies of the reports received on the “third party” inspections claimed to have been conducted on the Cabo Star and the Ocean Flower 2.
- financial information, inclusive of audited accounts, received from Bridgeman’s Services Group and/or Bridgeman’s Trinidad LP.
- comprehensive details of the procurement process employed which resulted in the selection of Bridgeman’s Services Group and/or Bridgeman’s Trinidad LP.
- all documentation inviting Bridgeman’s Services Group and/or Bridgeman’s Trinidad LP to submit proposals to provide vessels to service the Trinidad & Tobago sea bridge.
- all documentation awarding Bridgeman’s Services Group and/or Bridgeman’s Trinidad LP a contract to provide vessels to service the Trinidad and Tobago sea bridge.
- copies of the Charter Party agreements for the Ocean Flower 2 and the Cabo Star.
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley can, if he is even remotely interested in transparency, give a directive that all of the above requested information be placed in the public domain today!
By doing so, he will save Mr Mouttet and the people some very valuable time.