Home / Volley / Global Football / Who’s Johnny? FIFA blocks Bostock after Warriors fail to follow procedure

Who’s Johnny? FIFA blocks Bostock after Warriors fail to follow procedure

Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder John Bostock will not make his Trinidad and Tobago debut in St Vincent tomorrow, after an administrative error meant he did not get international clearance to represent the “Soca Warriors” in the March 25 Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier.

Photo: New Trinidad and Tobago midfielder John Bostock (left) trains with the national team while teammate Trevin Caesar looks on at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on 21 March 2016. (Courtesy Nicholas Bhajan/Wired868)
Photo: New Trinidad and Tobago midfielder John Bostock (left) trains with the national team while teammate Trevin Caesar looks on at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on 21 March 2016.
(Courtesy Nicholas Bhajan/Wired868)

Bostock, who captained England at National Under-17 Team level and now plays professionally in Belgium, had agreed to switch allegiances and already holds a Trinidad and Tobago passport.

However, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) failed to follow procedure to properly register the player. And, although Bostock would have been eligible to play in an international friendly, he cannot be used in a competitive FIFA match.

National coach Stephen Hart took responsibility for the error, although it was almost certainly a managerial mistake.

“It’s a situation where I misread the FIFA documentation and failed to realise that there was an amendment to the original ruling of players switching their country of choice,” Hart told the TTFA Media, “and because John had already played for England at the international youth level.

“He, as the player, needs to write to FIFA stating that he no longer wishes to play for England and intends to switch to Trinidad and Tobago.”

Photo: Trinidad and Tobago coach Stephen Hart reacts to the final whistle in the 2016 Copa America play off contest at the Rommel Fernandez Stadium, Panama City on 8 January 2016. (Courtesy Allan V Crane/CA-images/Wired868)
Photo: Trinidad and Tobago coach Stephen Hart reacts to the final whistle in the 2016 Copa America play off contest at the Rommel Fernandez Stadium, Panama City on 8 January 2016.
(Courtesy Allan V Crane/CA-images/Wired868)

The error, according to the TTFA, was spotted by local football president David John Williams.

“Our president was going over the final details to ensure all was in order and made this discovery and he advised me,” said Hart. “It’s unfortunate but we’ve spoken to John (Bostock) and he understands the situation.

“We will now wait for feedback to see when the process is completed by FIFA to have a better idea of when he can make his debut for us in the World Cup qualification competition.”

It is possible that Bostock would be available to play for the return leg in Trinidad on March 29 but it depends on how quickly FIFA moves on the TTFA request.

Trinidad and Tobago face St Vincent and the Grenadines from 3.30 pm tomorrow while the two nations meet again, next Tuesday, from 7 pm at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Photo: Trinidad and Tobago teenager Levi Garcia (right) practises with Netherlands top flight club, AZ Alkmaar.
Photo: Trinidad and Tobago teenager Levi Garcia (right) practises with Netherlands top flight club, AZ Alkmaar.

Although Bostock is now ineligible, there is every chance that 18 year old Netherlands-based winger, Levi Garcia, will make his international debut tomorrow.

Garcia, who joined the Warriors in camp on Tuesday, said he was excited and honoured to be playing alongside the likes of team captain Kenwyne Jones.

“It’s a very exciting period for me and I’m just focused on working hard and settling in with the rest of the team,” said Garcia. “It’s an honour for me to train and play with Kenwyne and the boys. Coach (Hart) spoke to me and he said he likes what he has been seeing but of course now I have to work hard and play for my pick.

“I’d love to play on Friday and play my part in helping us get the three points.”

AboutEditor

Editor

Check Also

T&T U-17 Women eliminated from WCQ series after 3-1 loss to Jamaica

The Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Under-17 Team was dumped from the Uruguay 2018 World …

83 comments

  1. Hart took the blame, but that’s not his business; his biz is to prepare the team on the field. Administratively, we’ve failed again. They need to hire a compliance officer to deal with these matters.

  2. On a serious note where does one get that training kit?

  3. So with Hart taking the blame here he’s just giving DJW justification to sack him further down the road.

  4. do you guys expected anything else we are the laughing stock of the caribbean always last minute for games or tournament the eve of the day before they are scheduled they don’t even know if they would be participating

  5. Like nobody aint checking anybody work at the TTFA.

  6. Wow was really looking forward to seeing guy play 🙁

  7. That ‘administrator’ needs to be replaced due to incompetence.

  8. You cannot have three managers. Someone must be in charge and take responsibility.

  9. At least he didn’t play and we had to forfeit the match. That would have been trouble way!

  10. Just to add. A coach is given a list of potentials or he can enquire. The hard part is that this senior team have 3 managers when travelling for different reasons. Someone lapsed.

  11. Instead of wasting time to fire Walkes…the TTFA should have been ensuring that the player get his Clearance to play…..WOW!.

  12. What else is new eh. Them really good yes.

  13. All I can say is stuepes. Come nah man! Lasana Liburd this is April fools already eh

  14. FIFA: 3. Any Player who has the right to change Associations in accordance with par. 1 and 2 above shall submit a written, substantiated request to the FIFA general secretariat. The Players’ Status Committee shall decide on the request.
    The procedure will be in accordance with the Rules Governing the Procedures of the Players’ Status Committee and the Dispute Resolution Chamber. Once the Player has filed his request, he is not eligible to play for any representative team until his request has been processed.

  15. National teams have appointed Managers and their assistants. It is their responsibility to know or find out the process to be followed when the coach wants to bring in such players as Bostock. There should be no excuses accepted for their failure to follow the FIFA requirements. But as usual no one is accountable. The coach taking the blame is wrong. His role is to coach not handle managerial issues. People need to understand their role and responsibilities and carry it out or get out. This is embarrassing.

  16. Hmm hope we rectify in time for the return leg, was looking forward to seeing him play in person

  17. Getting clearance takes a while, England player Jack Grealish had to wait 6 months for FIFA clearance after playing for Ireland under 17s. Matthew Briggs yet to feature for Guyana after failing to get approval last June aswell, never confirmed if he did get it in the end

  18. Yes Brent. I can tell that Hart is trying to quell the situation or shield the person who made the error.
    Coaches don’t register players. I commend him for his effort.

  19. My language has gotten worse over the week Lasana

  20. ..I would be mad as hell. A trans-Atlantic journey plus days of hot sun training for nutten? We lucky if he not hungry for home..

  21. His hunger will grow Tevin? Lol. You think he is feeling hungrier right now? Or wondering what sort of unprofessional setup is this?
    Only Trinis shrug and move on regardless of anythin yuh know.
    We order beef, they serve us chicken… And we say: ‘Small ting, I does eat that too!’
    Hahaha

    • You do have a point, we lacked professionalism in this situation, I’m most certain our past special advisor of TTFA would have spotted this issue and solved it! Maybe the fact that Birchall was only only experience like this made us unaware of that ruling! But I’m just looking forward to the positive side of this and when we qualify for the World Cup all of these bumps in the road will be smoothly forgiven and forgotten

    • Maybe there was an amendment in truth. But someone didn’t read the paperwork properly.
      I do know that coaches don’t register players. So Hart is trying to do honourable thing here.
      I also so know that incompetence never spurred anyone on to great heights ever! Hahaha.
      Hey, mistakes do happen. Even Real Madrid made a clanger recently. So if it is a one off, then I accept that.
      I just better not hear it was David Muhammad! Hahaha.

    • under Jack we never have this problem…. 😉

    • Good one Lasana you crack me up there

  22. This can be a blessing in disguise, now he will get more time to gel with the team and his hunger to play for us will grow as he view the game from the sidelines…..the other midfielders have more time to prepare and earn their spot as they have seen his quality in practice and now know they can’t “relax” …….we will get our 3 points and move on from there let’s go guys

  23. I find it ironic that the “coach” says he misread the rules. Where are the administrators?

  24. Oh Crap! Here we go AGAIN!!! I was really looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow…hopefully the TTFA President can ask his BFF to help speed up the process so he’s eligible to play next Tuesday.