MoH demands Newsday retraction, Deyalsingh denies prior knowledge of ministers at ‘bigshot wedding’

EPL Properties Ltd

“[…] In light of the above, the Ministry of Health is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday Newspaper to immediately retract the statements attributed to the minister…”

The following is a press statement from the Ministry of Health, in response to the Newsday Editorial on 27 November 2020:

Photo: Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh addresses journalists during a virtual media conference on 7 May 2020.
(Copyright Ghansham Mohammed/GhanShyam Photography/Wired868)

The Ministry of Health wishes to draw your attention to an Editorial captioned ‘Bigshot Wedding’ published on page 12 of today’s print and electronic editions of the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday Newspaper.

The Editorial names and attributes a series of statements to the Honourable Minister of Health, Terrence Deyalsingh, who has denied making any such statements.

The minister’s position is supported by a Wednesday 25th November 2020 article in the Trinidad Express (page 3) by Ria Taitt who (was one of several reporters that) interviewed the minister at the sod turning ceremony for the for the new Ministry of Health Head Office in PoS.

The article clearly accounts the conversation that transpired between the Minister and the reporters present. The article reads as follows:

“When asked if government ministers were present at the Valsayn wedding last weekend, Deyalsingh said he read that in the newspapers but he did not know if any ministers were present.”

Image: The novel coronavirus.

Making reference to a conversation he had with the host of the wedding, the minister is further quoted as saying: “I advised that person not to do what he did (ie, hold a large wedding). Because he came to me for advice. I know the person and I advised him not to do it.”

In light of the above, the Ministry of Health is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday Newspaper to immediately retract the statements attributed to the minister.

The ministry remains committed to providing timely and accurate information on all issues relating to health and wellness and sincerely trusts that this error will be speedily rectified.

Editor’s Note: The Newsday EIC said the paper will do a clarification in the next edition. The paper’s view is that it was unclear whether the minister was referring to the host of the event or a prospective guest of the wedding.

More from Wired868
Vaneisa: Foggy days of fatigue and other post-Covid symptoms

I’ve come to believe that what I had thought to be a vicious bout of both acid reflux and one Read more

Dear Editor: If feters are doing as they please, why are we mandated to wear masks?

“[…] Over the last week we have held the Jam Naked Fete and the Stink & Dutty Fete, which seemed Read more

Health Ministry warns public not to buy specific Kinder chocolate products, after salmonella scare

‘[…] Voluntary Product Recall: Kinder Happy Moments Milk Chocolate and Crispy Wafers Assortment, Kinder Mix Chocolate Treats Basket, Kinder Surprise, Kinder Read more

Blaxx passes away; soca star fails to recover from Covid-19

Trinidad and Tobago soca star Dexter ‘Blaxx’ Stewart died today after failing to recover from Covid-19. The 59-year-old singer, who Read more

T&T’s Covid-19 changes: Team sports, public transport limits, quarantine periods and more

“[…] Public gatherings of persons in groups of no more than 25 is now to be permissible. The recommencement of Read more

Early Bird: Covid, Blaxx, our glee and why we walk on mornings

At 5.15am on this day the Lord has made, Marie Howe’s name tops my inbox. She’s a poet, a completely Read more

About Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor
Want to share your thoughts with Wired868? Email us at editor@wired868.com. Please keep your letter between 300 to 600 words and be sure to read it over first for typos and punctuation. We don't publish anonymously unless there is a good reason, such as an obvious threat of harassment or job loss.

Check Also

Central Boys Championship games postponed due to Covid scare; Premier fixture change

The Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) executive committee announced the postponement of all Central Zone …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.