RBNYL opens probe after Rosa U-16 coach allegedly accosts Malabar player

The Republic Bank National Youth League (RBNYL) emergency committee has been asked to probe a physical confrontation between FC Santa Rosa Under-16 Team assistant coach Terrence Sealy and Malabar Young Stars player Nicholas Franklyn after weekend action in the nationwide competition.

The incident occurred late in the second half on Saturday afternoon with Rosa leading Malabar 3-0 in the East Zone Under-16 contest at Constantine Park, Macoya. According to accounts from all sides, Franklyn reacted to a rough tackle from an opposing Rosa player, which provoked a flashpoint between both teams.

Photo: FC Santa Rosa midfielder Renaldo Padarath (centre) challenges the ball against a North Zone XI player during RBNYL U-16 action at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar on 18 March 2018.
(Copyright Sean Morrison/Wired868)

At that stage, Sealy entered the field of play. Malabar coach Yunus Abdullah alleged that Sealy slapped Franklyn. However, officials from Rosa and All Sport Promotions—who run the RBNYL competition—denied that the teenager was struck.

“There was a bad tackle by the Santa Rosa player which caused a confrontation,” All Sport Promotion official Eugene Antoine told Wired868, “and the [Santa Rosa] coach ran to the middle of it and pushed away the [Malabar Young Stars] player. He was trying to separate the players but he did it in a forceful manner.”

All Sport Promotions director Anthony Harford agreed with Antoine.

“We looked at the video several times today and it is clear that the Santa Rosa coach did not slap the boy,” said Harford. “What he did was put his hand on the boy’s face and spoke to him—but what he was saying I could not say; it was hard to tell if it was aggressive or not.

“[Sealy] went on the field with the best of intentions. But, yes, there was a shove.”

The matter will now be handled by a three-member committee of senior match officials, headed by former international referee and Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team manager Richard Piper. Harford expects a verdict by mid-week.

Photo: Ex-National Security Minister and TTFA security advisor Gary Griffith (left), former SPORTT facility manager Anthony Blake (right) and TTFA manager Richard Piper await kick-off between Trinidad and Tobago and USA on 8 June 2017 in Commerce City, Colorado.
(Courtesy Allan V Crane/CA Images/Wired868)

Santa Rosa president Keith Look Loy and Malabar Young Stars president Clint Busby have both indicated that they will abide by the decision of the emergency committee. The two clubs and match referee Ralph Harewood submitted reports on the incident today.

Harewood blew off the match early owing to the incident and a decision must be made about the result as well.

“We are now asking an emergency committee to look at the three sides of the story,” said Harford. “The two clubs were very cooperative and said they will accept whatever the verdict of the league is, so they have all left it in our hands.

“[Sealy] sent a letter to us today offering his unequivocal apology and I thought it was a heat-of-the-moment kind of incident. But these things can spiral out of control if not properly dealt with.

“So we will take it to our three experts and get their verdict and relay it to you. At all times, we have to be sure to protect the integrity of football, our tournament and, of course, our sponsor.”

The RBNYL is in its 24th year of existence and boasts a record 131 participants in 2018—30 more than its second-highest mark of 101 teams last year.

Photo: An Elite 123 Goodness FC player (right) tries to elude Empire FC player Kody Granger during RBNYL North Zone U-12 action at the Queen’s Park Savannah on 24 March 2018.
(Copyright Chevaughn Christopher/Wired868)

“I think it goes without saying that this is probably one of if not the best youth sport tournament in the country,” said Harford. “All teams get a minimum of eight or nine weeks of league football and then we go into the play-offs.”

However, Harford said some coaches and parents focus so much on the final result that it can create a tense environment.

“I think the children enjoy the games, win or lose, but sometimes the adults behave in ways that are unbelievable,” said Harford, “and I have to remind them that this is not the message they want to convey to the children.

“[…] I stand at the sidelines and watch the games and some teams continually complain about the quality of the referees. I don’t think referees set out to cheat but they are human and mistakes are made.

“Cedric Hazelwood is the manager and coach of Laventille [United] and he texts me every single week to say that what is important is his players come out and enjoy their football. I wish he could lecture the other coaches.

Photo: Laventille United goalkeeper Josiah Coy (second from left) beats Trendsetter Hawks custodian Jaheim Morris from the penalty spot during RBNYL Under-15 action against Eastern United at the Queen’s Park Savannah on 15 May 2017.
It was the lone highlight for Laventille who lost 11-1.
(Courtesy Nicholas Bhajan/Wired868)

“[…] I had an incident last week when a coach says the referee cheated them because the ball wasn’t pumped enough. And yet both teams played with the same ball. It is incredible.”

The RBNYL tournament started on 24 March and should climax with the finals in early July. Santa Rosa are the defending National Under-16 champions.

More from Wired868
NYFL 23: East U-17 frontrunners, FC Ginga and Tinto FA, near quarterfinal places

FC Ginga moved to the top of the Republic Cup National Youth Football League (NYFL) this evening, thanks to a Read more

FC Santa Rosa: “Stop posturing and get the job done”; Gateway: We’re “working to resolve concerns”

FC Santa Rosa: “[…] This tournament should never have begun without all systems being set in place…” Gateway Athletics: “[…] Read more

Dear Editor: The Republic Cup NYFL can and should do better than this

“[…] The fields that are being used offer little or no amenities for players, especially females, and supporters—not even water. Read more

Republic Cup NYFL kicks off this weekend, with over 3,000 players and TT$31,500 in cash prizes

The Republic Cup National Youth Football League will kick off its 2023 season this weekend, with over 70 clubs involved Read more

NLCL 23: SMS and Connection make mas in Malabar to advance to Carnival Sunday Semis

Defending Next Level Consultant Ltd (NLCL) Under-19 Community Cup champions Soccer Made Simple (SMS) and W Connection FC advanced to Read more

Eve, Powder, Hackshaw among 10 no-shows as T&T face Nicaragua with 19-member squad

On Tuesday morning, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) announced 28 players who would represent the Men’s National Senior Read more

Check Also

NYFL 23: East U-17 frontrunners, FC Ginga and Tinto FA, near quarterfinal places

FC Ginga moved to the top of the Republic Cup National Youth Football League (NYFL) …

5 comments

  1. 24 years old, has a sponsor, has 131 teams!

    This is a SUPER LEAGUE!

    Doesn’t get any better than this by ‘playing rough’ Santa Rosa prezzy, won’t you agree?

  2. Indiscipline all round. From player to coach to referee. SMH!

  3. so why not pull away your own player,,, d shove and your hands on the boys face….whats dat

  4. The coach have to be the referee

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.