Camps and Groden served for contempt

Richard Groden and Oliver Camps, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) general secretary and former president respectively, have been served for contempt of court after failing to sue former TTFF Special Advisor and Minister of Works and Infrastructure Jack Warner.

Groden and Camps must respond in writing to the Port of Spain High Court by 31 May 2012.

Photo: TTFF president Oliver Camps.
Photo: TTFF president Oliver Camps.

Legal representatives for the 13 aggrieved 2006 World Cup players filed an application for contempt proceedings against Camps, Groden and the TTFF at the High Court this morning.

The contempt charge is due to the TTFF’s failure to file suit against Warner, its former agent, who negotiated the football body’s World Cup bonus agreement with the “Soca Warriors” and also banked all revenue related to the FIFA tournament.


The TTFF has repeatedly insisted only Warner knows how much World Cup revenue was raised by Trinidad and Tobago’s qualification for the showcase tournament in Germany and that Warner refuses to hand over the necessary accounting statements.

However, after High Court Judge Devindra Rampersad gave the TTFF an April 3 deadline to sue Warner, the football body claimed, on 4 April 2012, that it had not done so for fear that a suit may leave them vulnerable to its former special advisor who threatened to counter-sue.

The TTFF’s explanation failed to win the sympathy of the Warriors.

Brent Sancho, who played in central defence for all three games in Germany but was never selected by the TTFF again, told Wired868.com that it was time for the football officials to account for their actions.

Former Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup defender Brent Sancho

“They have brought this situation to themselves,” Sancho told Wired868. “I have no sympathy for any of them. They have all played a part in not only destroying football in this country but also blocking the path of justice.”

The 13 World Cup players involved in the court action are: Shaka Hislop, Kenwyne Jones, Stern John, Kelvin Jack, Cyd Gray, Avery John, Aurtis Whitley, Evans Wise, Collin Samuel, Atiba Charles, Cornell Glen, Anthony Wolfe and Sancho.

The players are represented by Dave De Peiza, Phillip Lamont, George Hislop (who is father of World Cup player, Shaka Hislop) and British attorney Michael Townley.

The media was again blocked from viewing today’s proceedings at the request of TTFF attorney Derek Ali. However, a well-placed source informed Wired868 that Justice Rampersad stressed the seriousness of the charge to the present and past football administrator.

If Groden and Camps are unsuccessful in their defence, they face the possibility of having their assets confiscated and even receiving prison sentences.

The TTFF’s assets at its Dundonald Street base in Port of Spain were seized on 8 February 2012 by a court-appointed marshall after an application by the “Soca Warriors.”

Court-appointed bailiffs seize movable assets from the TTFF headquarters due to its failure to meet financial obligations to the 2006 World Cup squad.
(Photo: Kevin Harrison)

In the High Court today, a representative from Johnson, Camacho & Singh, a local law firm, was present to watch the proceedings on behalf of Warner, who has never appeared in court for the duration of the four-year legal battle.

Om Lalla, who also represents Warner and previously defended the TTFF, was there too and lectured Groden, Camps and Ali for at least 15 minutes after today’s session.

The players and the TTFF are to return to court at 11 am on 19 July 2012 for further hearing and a possible decision on the contempt charge.

The players’ legal team served Groden notice of legal action on 1 May 2012. Camps was served in the rain outside the High Court today.

More from Wired868
New TTFA president will chair technical committee; Sancho tipped for role

New Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Kieron “Bo” Edwards is set to be installed as technical and development Read more

“Neo-colonialism”, “diabolical”, “justifiable”; TTFA creditors speak out as Hadad tries to hold off football membership

Somewhere between 2006 and 2010, as Trinidad and Tobago’s football stock fell on and off the field—and, as always, the Read more

Defiant Warner suggests 3 more legal rounds, as Privy Council okays extradition of ex-FIFA VP

Trinidad and Tobago is now free to extradite former Fifa vice-president and Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner to face racketeering Read more

Early Bird’s W/C recall: T&T dresses up—Jack Warner, Caligiuri combine to cancel our date…

“1990?” asks Bobby, a rueful look distorting his facial features, “What I remember best about that campaign is Philbert Jones Read more

Court accepts TTFA debt repayment plan, as Warner withdraws case after Fenwick/Miller compromise

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) can finally begin paying off its creditors—under terms agreed in May—after High Court Read more

Court adjourns TTFA repayment hearing, to address payoff claims by Warner, Fenwick and Miller

Verified creditors of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), including former coaches and technical directors like Stephen Hart, Anton Read more

Check Also

Noble: Out damn spot!—Hinds and Griffith must account for SSA scandal

“In the way of the world, things happen. As one writer previously wrote, ‘there is …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.